Christmas is almost here! Most of us are now preparing the menu for the Christmas dinner, but are they safe for our pets? It doesn’t mean we can feed them what we eat but it is important to ensure that they are safe so everyone could enjoy the holiday. From our stockings to our dining tables, morning to evening, food is everywhere during the run-up to Christmas. Sadly though, a lot of the foods we commonly associate with Christmas are highly dangerous for our pets. Here are the foods that we should keep well out of their reach.

 

1. Chocolates

These yummy blocks of sweetness are almost everywhere. Theobromine is a key ingredient in chocolate and cocoa powder. It is highly poisonous to dogs and cats and if they eat any, it can have a fatal effect on their hearts, kidneys and nervous systems. Keep your selection boxes always sealed, ideally store them up high – somewhere your pet can’t get to. The same goes for chocolate of any kind, even chocolatey drinks.

 

2. Raisins and grapes

A key ingredient to most Christmas food is raisins. These are highly toxic to pets and can cause kidney failure if they’re eaten. Watch out for the likes of Christmas cake, fruit cakes, viands, and other Christmas dishes.

 

3. Onion, Garlic, and Chives

These ingredients are known to cause stomach and red blood cell damage to pets. Be careful while you cook: it’s worth keeping your pets out of the kitchen in case you drop anything. Once you’re all sorted and everything is in the oven, be sure to have a good clean up (especially of the floor) before letting them come back in.

 

4. Alcoholic drinks

Alcohol can cause an array of serious health problems, the most common symptoms being vomiting, depression, visible dizziness and breathing difficulties. Make sure mulled wine, Bailey’s and other such delights are reserved for humans only this Christmas and don’t leave your glass on the floor unattended either.

 

5. Cooked bones

Bones are a popular toy to dogs but not all bones are safe for them. You should avoid giving cooked bones to your dog, however, because they are known to split, sometimes scratching or getting lodged into your furry friend’s throat, sometimes causing slab fractures of their teeth. Raw bones, which can also cause salmonella, are equally dangerous. If you insist upon giving the dog a bone this Christmas, we recommend you stick with a squeaky toy one!