Ticks and fleas are nothing but trouble. We’ve heard all about the products that promise to prevent and remove ticks and fleas but what are the practices we can do to deal with them?


1. Bathe your pet regularly

Getting your pet all scrubbed up will help ease his discomfort, get rid of the dead fleas, eggs, tick droppings and will give you a better idea of just how bad the situation may be. Check his fur carefully while bathing and try to remove ALL of the pests you find. This may be an arduous task but will be well worth the effort. Keep scrubbing and be careful not to miss any areas! Good hygiene is key to keeping those pests under control since clean pets are unattractive to them. (Pipper Cratty)



2. Use anti-flea or anti-tick products regularly

Regular use of anti-tick or anti-flea products are ideal to have around, with the intention of not having to use tick or flea removal products at all. You can choose from shampoos, collars, powders, sprays, or dips. Opt for all-natural products, as the chemicals used to kill parasites can be potentially harmful to your furbaby and who you live with. (Dr. Becker)



3. Use a flea comb

I ended up getting one of those combs at the pet store that are made to get rid of fleas, and just continuing to comb through her fur. It's tedious, but it will work. I have a bowl of soapy water next to me to put the fleas in to kill them, and then a paper towel to wipe them off. I would do it every night till she stopped scratching and until I couldn't find any more. (Miss Emy)



4. Keep their coat short

If you’re having a hard time to groom your pet’s long fur, consider giving them a short haircut (not hairless as this makes them prone to sunburn). It is much easier to tick check a short coat than a long one. (Sharon from aftergadget)


5. Keep your lawn clean

The first defense is to make your yard unwelcoming to fleas and ticks. Mow the lawn regularly, trim shrubs, rake leaves, and keep garbage covered so it won’t attract rodents. Keep the bushes and weeds in your yard to an absolute minimum. (TAH Blog)



6. Clean your house thoroughly and regularly

 The first step is to vacuum. 5% of the fleas are living on your pet and that the other 95% are living in your house or yard. You can get rid of a vast majority of them by vacuuming them up. For all of the washable items, wash them in the hottest water possible and for the non-washable items, hang them under direct sunlight regularly. (Cesar Millan)



7. Keep your pets healthy

Healthy animals are less attractive, for reasons that science has yet to determine, to fleas and other external and internal pests and parasites, whose whole existence is one of opportunistic survival and multiplication. Dogs and cats on the kind of ‘junk’ foods that are still widely sold are far more prone to fleas and other parasitic and infectious health problems than those who are on a wholesome, whole-food diet, ideally organically certified and of course nutritionally complete. (Dr Michael Fox)